At The Healing Touch Chiropractic in Sacramento, CA, we specialize in treating and diagnosing various spinal issues, including scoliosis. This complex condition occurs when the spine has an abnormal curve. Scoliosis can develop at any age and can be mild or severe. Before visiting us for treatment, learn more about scoliosis and its different types below:
Understanding the Types of Scoliosis
There are four main types of scoliosis. These types include the following:
- Idiopathic Scoliosis — Over 80% of scoliosis cases are idiopathic, which means that the scoliosis occurs spontaneously and without an exact known cause. Medical researchers believe there is a genetic predisposition that can contribute to the development of idiopathic scoliosis.
- Congenital Scoliosis — Congenital scoliosis is present from birth and is caused by abnormal spinal growth while the individual is in the womb.
- Neuromuscular Scoliosis — This type of scoliosis is caused by an underlying medical condition that has neuromuscular components, such as cerebral palsy.
- Degenerative Scoliosis — This type of scoliosis develops as a person ages and is caused by natural degradation of the spinal discs and joints.
Treatment for Scoliosis
The treatment our chiropractors will recommend is going to depend on factors like age, cause of scoliosis, and degree of the curvature. Some common treatments that we utilize include:
- Bracing — For younger patients that are still growing, a brace can help prevent abnormal spinal curvature from occurring in the future.
- Physical Therapy and Exercise — Certain exercises and physical therapy techniques can strengthen back muscles, which can improve posture and alleviate pain.
- Spinal Adjustments — A spinal adjustment can help reduce pain due to scoliosis and improve overall mobility and function in mild to moderate cases.
- Spinal Decompression — Decompression can be performed surgically and non-surgically, helps relieve pressure on the spine, and improves circulation.
- Surgery — Severe cases of scoliosis may require surgical procedures to correct the spine.
In some cases of mild scoliosis, our chiropractors may recommend simply waiting and observing how the case develops over time. This is especially true with children, as their spinal curve may change as they grow.
Contact us for an Appointment Today
Scoliosis can be painful and affect your daily activities. At The Healing Touch Chiropractic in Sacramento, CA, we provide a variety of treatments, including spinal adjustments, decompression therapy, and physical therapy to help alleviate the discomfort. To learn more about our treatments and to schedule your appointment, call us at (916) 447-3344 today!