Degenerative Disc Disease
If you are experiencing chronic back pain, it may be due to degenerative disc disease. It is important to seek treatment for the condition since it can lead to further complications, such as herniated discs or spinal stenosis. At The Healing Touch Chiropractic in Sacramento, CA, we offer various treatments to reduce your discomfort and improve your health.
What Is Degenerative Disc Disease?
Degenerative disc occurs when the discs between the vertebrae wear down. Not only that, but they may also bulge our or herniate completely, which puts significant pressure on the surrounding soft tissue and nerves. The four stages of degenerative disc disease include:
- Stage 1 – Dysfunction: During this stage, the discs become damaged and can no longer cushion the spine properly. As a result, you may experience pain, discomfort, and limited mobility.
- Stage 2 – Dehydration: As the disease progresses, the discs become less hydrated, lose more function, and lead to more pain.
- Stage 3 – Stabilization: The spine will try to counteract the damage by producing bone cells that narrow the spinal column. This stage can also result in intense pain and loss of sensation in your legs.
- Stage 4 – Collapse: In the final stage, the discs become extremly thin and the vertebrae rub against each other with nothing in between the bones to cushion them. Due to this, you may feel severe pain and mobility loss.
Symptoms of Degenerative Disc Disease
Degenerative disc disease can produce a variety of symptoms. Some of these symptoms include the following:
- Pain that is uncomfortable or debilitating
- Pain that worsens and gets better intermittently
- Numbness or tingling in the extremities
- Limited of range of motion
Chiropractic Care for Degenerative Disc Disease
Chiropractic care can be effective in relieving the pain and discomfort associated with degenerative disc disease. Treatments like chiropractic adjustments and spinal decompression can help create more space in between the vertebrae so the discs receive fluid and lubrication. An adjustment also removes tension from the vertebrae and redistributes weight along your spine to provide pain relief.
Contact us for an Appointment Today
If you are experiencing symptoms of degenerative disc disease, let our team at The Healing Touch in Sacramento, CA, help. Once we evaluate your condition, we will design a customized treatment plan that will relieve your pain and improve your mobility. To schedule your appointment, call us at (916) 447-3344 today. When you’re seeking a chiropractor near me, we look forward to assisting you!